Saturday, April 12, 2008

Project #13: Puffed Sleeve T-Shirt



Vogue 8451 View A - with added long sleeve = Juliet Sleeve

Added 1" to hem. Moved in shoulders 5/8" and neckline 1". Added long sleeve lower section from View C instead of cuff/band (creating full length 2 pc. sleeve with puffy top - called a Juliet sleeve).

Size 8. I normally use a size 12 in woven tops, but compared the measurements of this to a t shirt I bought and decided to go with the 8. I like a close fit in knit tops. I probably didn't need to move in the shoulders or neckline but I do like the way mine turned out.

If I do a Juliet sleeve again I will probably shorten the puffed section by 2-3" so it ends above the bustline. This seems to give a lighter, more slimming look. I made this long sleeved because it's still chilly now in early spring and I get cold easily. I may take the lower sections off and add the band after the weather warms up, or make another one with the short sleeves.

I normally disdain facings and interfacing with knit tops, but I really like the way the neckline turned out on this one. I used a light 'fusi-knit' interfacing on the facing, basted from the wrong side close to the facing edge, the top stitched with my coverstitch machine 3/4" from the neck edge and trimmed the facing close to the second row of stitching with my applique scissors.

I didn't use my serger to sew this, although normally I would use a 4 thread overlock stitch for the seams. I did coverstitch the hem and sleeves at 1". I like the way the double-stitched neckline matches the hems

The pattern did not have any finished measurements on the pieces, and instead said something about stretch knits only.

No comments: