Friday, January 4, 2008

Project #1: Dining Chairs

I went to the New Year's Day sale at Fabricland this year, and picked up a few patterns, and the only fabric I have bought so far this year: a 1m piece of brown striped upholstery fabric to re-cover my dining chairs.

The chairs came with a dark orange/rust coloured suede fabric, which was hard to wipe spills out of and showed every touch/rear-end impression because of the nap. They always looked messy because of the nap, and my daughter still spills from time to time, and spilt milk did nothing to help these chairs (I do love suede generally, but vinyl seemed more practical at this point in my life!).

I got the chairs covered within a couple days of buying the fabric and although I should have bought a bit more in order to have all the edges firmly against the frame, I managed with what I have (the front edges don't make it to the chair frame on the bottom, but they go far enough under that the serged edge is well hidden from above).

I think the chairs look more expensive and are also far more presentable despite rear ends and spills! :)


Fabric Purchased: 1m
Fabric Used: 1m

No comments: